Following Congressional authorization in 1924, Washington Evening Star
president Frank B. Noyes led the District of Columbia World War
Memorial Commission to collect donations from District residents, school
children, veterans groups, labor unions and government officials.
Designed by local architects Franke H. Brooke, Nathan C. Wyeth, and Horace
W. Peaslee, this simple, dignified doric temple testifies to the city's
Following its dedication, the
memorial has remained popular with District residents who flock to
frequent military band concerts. From 1936 to the present, local
veterans organizations under the auspices of the District of Columbia
World War Memorial and May Day Corporation annually meet to honor the
Great War service of 26,000 Washingtonians.