originally the Old Executive Office Building, a National Historic
Landmark, and was built between 1871 and 1888. Designed by Alfred B.
Mullet the building housed the Departments of State, War, and Navy. Much
of the interior was designed using fireproof cast-iron structural and
decorative elements. But the building became seen as inefficient and was
nearly demolished in 1957. Since 1981, major renovations have been carried
out and a plan developed for the building's continued use. Today, the
building houses various agencies such as the Office of the Vice President,
the Office of Management and Budget and the National Security Council. In
2002, the Old Executive Office Building was officially rededicated as the
Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building.