Congress authorized the
creation of the Jefferson Memorial in 1934 to honor the founding father.
Construction was completed between 1938 and 1943. Architect John Russell
Pope incorporated Jefferson's own architectural tastes into the design,
basing it on the Roman Pantheon. The interior walls contain 4 panels with
excerpts of Jefferson's writings. Standing in the center is the 19 foot
statue of Jefferson by Rudolph Evans.